This is a new site dedicated to creating a greater awareness of the value of Computational Thinking as a core part of the K-12 Educational landscape.
While the realisation that Computational Thinking and it’s foundational component, Computer Programming/Coding is growing, generally the public and especially educators are not aware of its importance in today’s very technological world and its growing relevance to a great many attractive career choices.
“Ultimately, what is needed is a shift in mindsets, so that people begin to see coding not only as a pathway to good jobs, but as a new form of expression and a new context for learning.” – Mitchel Resnick
These is a potential tsunami coming
- of needed change;
- of lack of qualifications;
- of serious redefinition of some of what we teach, not just how we teach.
- “This is an amazing time to go into computing, with unprecedented opportunities.
- Computers are a ubiquitous and growing presence in all aspects of modern society, and thus there is huge and increasing demand for computing professionals that is far from being met by the profile of today’s graduates.
- Computing-related careers are some of the most versatile, creative, and satisfying career choices you can make, and computational thinking and skills are valuable complements to virtually all other career areas.” –Maggie Eppstein, Ph.D. Chair of Computer Science, University of Vermont
This 5 minute video will give you a good overview: The Importance of teaching Coding
This site contains a number of my presentations and some sample workshops for introducing teachers to this new curriculum area.
I am also available for presentations, consultancy & workshops on Computational Thinking.
Email: pfherring at gmail